Teejay Gonzales, Coca-Cola BIG Transformation Director
The Coca-Cola Bottling Investment Group (BIG) is part of the Coca-Cola Company focusing on bottling and distribution of Coca-Cola products with operations in markets in Southeast Asia, India, Middle East and Southwest Asia, covering 16 countries with 39 plants and 28,000 employees, serving over 1.8 billion consumers.
Coca-Cola BIG has initiated a Digital Transformation Initiative for HR that aims to standardize the end-to-end processes involved in identifying all the HR requirements of all their markets, which are in various degrees and sizes, locations, complexity, and functionalities. Despite having identified SAP SuccessFactors as their standard HCM platform, they faced challenges with its initial deployment, so their HR transformation didn’t happen as quickly as they intended. It took them three years to deploy it to 4 markets alone, which led them to reflect and strategize where they want to steer their digital HR journey.
NTT DATA Philippines (NDPH) was brought into Coca-Cola BIG markets (Myanmar and Vietnam) after their successful implementation of SAP SuccessFactors for Coca-Cola Beverages Philippines (CCBPI). Soon, NDPH became Coca-Cola BIG’s partner of choice because they gave them the confidence to demonstrate the ability of translating complicated technology solutions to something that's more tangible in real life. NDPH received positive feedback from stakeholders and users, and with the support of their management team, Coca-Cola BIG was able to firm up their deployment of SAP SuccessFactors in all 16 markets starting this 2021 and will end in 2023.
Being a large enterprise, their HR Department was burdened with tedious tasks, taking away time to focus on strategic and value adding initiatives. The siloed systems made it time consuming to generate reports hindering management to make strategic decisions regarding their talent workforce. Its isolated solutions were difficult for collaboration and active engagement amongst employees. Adherence and compliance to internal controls were also a concern.
The absence of an end-to-end Hire to Retire process results to inefficiencies and missed opportunities – performance reviews were not tied to rewards and recognition, there’s no consistency in talent management and development leading to over complexity in its business processes and low employee engagement.
This complex process brought difficulties and challenges that affected not only our employees’ productivity but also the business performance as a whole.
• Manual HR business processes varying across multiple countries
• Lack of standard HR solution across the region
• Inefficient HR analytical reporting within their workforce structure
• Lack of integrated end-to-end Hire to Retire process
• Ineffective HR management tracking
• Low adherence to compliance and internal controls
• Lack of regional and local active employee engagement and collaboration
NDPH helped Coca-Cola BIG achieve their goal of automating and standardizing their HR System across the region. With NTT DATA’s ready2run Solutions, a rapid implementation approach for SAP SuccessFactors HxM solutions, Coca-Cola BIG was able to quickly address their most critical talent and people's strategy objectives.
NDPH’s harmonization workshops to standardize HR processes across multiple markets enabled a consistent approach unifying multiple companies and reducing complexity of its business processes. A connected system to support talent management increased productivity across teams and geographical boundaries. The seamless process irrespective of location and time zone resulted in a happier and more engaged workforce.
Among the many benefits of the new implementation, NTT DATA’s ready2run solution is expected to enable Coca-Cola BIG to achieve:
• Process Standardization across all countries
• Elimination of manual Talent Management processes and introduction of paperless and harmonized processes and data across the whole Region from Asia to Middle East countries
• Faster and real time, consolidated, detailed talent reporting to support strategic planning and alignment with the over-all business objectives
• Remove the reliance on spreadsheet and the likelihood of human error
• Remove the overhead (difficulty and cost) of managing disparate systems